Monday 16 April 2012

Day 5 The Tanami Track .... At last!

Sunday 15th April
This entry contains a" Where'sPaul"
I'm trying to write this with 5000 flies crawling up my nose, in my eyes and any other area they choose.
We left Alice Springs at 9.30 this morning and finally hit the real Track. The Tanami Track. The first 30 Kms were easy! Not a pothole in sight, just smooth black bitumen!! But Track Users BEWARE! We were lulled into a false sense of security. We topped up the fuel at Tillmouth Well (at only $2.15/lit) We knew we had too. The next available fuel was at Hall's Creek, 1006Km away.We have long range fuel tanks and had travelled that far before but we were unsure of the road conditions as they can make an impact on fuel consumption. We hoped the tanks plus our jerry can full would be enough!



We hit the red stuff soon after refuelling! The going was quite easy. Paul sat on about 90-100Km/hour. The road was sandy and had been just graded after the recent rains.
We did get a heads-up from the sole road train we passed, that it was going to deteriorate further up
THESE FLIES!!!!!!!!
It was fine, after travelling the Oodnadatta track after rains this seemed really easy.
We reached Renahans Bore at 3.30
THESE FLIES!!!!!!! SOMEONE HAND ME THE AEROGARD  ...PLEASE!!


We decided not to camp at the wayside stop.Too bare and open to the track so we followed a small track into the actual bore.
A great little camp site.
After a visit from an indigenous local who asked for water, although we heard them in the distance they left us alone.
We pitched camp.

THESE FLIES!!! I'm going to have to stop writing this. All I can see is little black blobs in front of my eyes.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good guys! when do you get reception?! need to tell you how annoying Geordie is! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad says that he needs Darcy (teenager) rather than Sally(50+) to help him with his computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray We are on line now Gill--great to see your progress---make us think of rhew days that we used to travel --t'was exciting----having a llittle trouble finding the old guy==is he still with youI'd like to say that he is looking well !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dad!
      Really great to have you on board for a ride. I often think of How you and Mum must have done your travelling,
      Paul and I certainly have it pretty easy with all our mod cons.
      See you o
      "on the track"
      Love Gill

      Delete
  4. Hi happy campers, well, except for the flies. Sounds like you are still having fun, making progress and keeping out of trouble. Blog is looking good...fixed the date, now you just have a sideways wobble, adjust width in template. Love the photo of you trying to drink your beer Paul, but I can't actually see any "flies on you". Stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I have to travel up the Tanami road to Sangster's bore for field work - I was wondering if you could advise me about the amount of spare fuel I should bring? I have 3 x 20L tanks. (utter NOOB. I will have an experienced driver with me). my email is nvcoggan at students dot latrobe dot edu dot au.
    Cheers,
    Nicole.

    ReplyDelete